Friday, November 28, 2008

The Beach Pit Barbecue – Tustin California

One day at Anaheim Stadium, when heading to the cheap seats, I came upon the best find ever when it comes to ball park food. The Beach Pit Barbecue had opened a satellite location in the outfield upper pavilion. To my amazement, the Pulled Pork Sandwich was the best I ever ate.

Game after game I took family, friends and bragged about it to anyone who would listen. Now I’m writing about it for I visited one of the two other locations, located in Tustin, California.

The Beach Bit Barbecue is located in an old automotive garage style building and is appropriately called The Tustin Garage. Though I say “old,” the interior is new and kept in pristine condition. Nice booths, brush stainless steel tabletops, and an upscale conversion look.

Walking in to the restaurant you come face to face with a southern style smokehouse order window. Posted above is a good size menu offering all the barbecue favorites. Just to the right are a few games that are well placed but do not impede or over crowd the dining area. And to one side of the restaurant is a sports bar with flat panel televisions.

Monday through Thursdays they host a happy hour between 3-6 pm. This is place for people who like family but are serious barbecue eaters.

Now, I have to tell you that I cannot get the pulled pork sandwich out of my mind. Like I said, I ate one at every Angel’s baseball game that I attended this year. Now it is the off season and I was hoping to get the same quality sandwich and that I got at the ballpark.

The pulled pork sandwich is served on a white bun and a drizzling of my choice of sauce, which is spicy. However, there are several different types of sauces. The meat had that excellent smoked flavor, with a perfect crust and that nice pink smoke ring. The flavor is out of this world.

The lunch came with my choice of sides dishes and I ordered the barbecue staple, beans and coleslaw. The coleslaw is medium sliced cabbages and is not creamy, but has red wine vinaigrette lightly covering it. It was sweet and tangy.

The beans were very good. Now, I am not a bean eater, yet I found myself eating all of them. They are a combination of kidney, pinto, and white bean. The sauce was sweet, but not over powering; together they made for two excellent sides. Additional sides are corn on the cob, macaroni and cheese, blueberry cornbread, and potato salad.

I became interested in returning for breakfast as the menu has egg plates containing smoked meats and pancakes with bananas, blueberries, or chocolate chips.

In addition to a barbecue menu, there are barbecue pork, chicken, sausage, and pizzas. Also they have a a kids menu that features mac N’ cheese, chicken nuggets, spare ribs, and chicken drumsticks. Of course everybody’s favorite French fries.

The Beach Pit Barbecue features pork, beef brisket, chicken, sausage, spare ribs, baby back ribs, and Tri Tip. And as every good barbecue restaurant should have combination smoked meat plates. Yum!

A lunch plate will run you between $10 to $14 and dinner, $14 to $17; yet I’m sure you will be happy once you have had a taste of their hospitality, fun, and food.

I am looking forward to my next visit where I will have to sample more of the delicious barbecue.

Rating

Service 10 – Very polite and food was served quickly.

Food – 8.5 – They have one of the best smokehouses in Southern California.


The Beach Pit Barbecue

560 El Camino Real, Old Town Tustin. California

949-645-RIBS (7427)

Web

Directions

Also visit their location in Costa Mesa &

Anaheim Stadium in the Outfield Pavilion under the jumbotron.

1676 Tustin Ave, Costa Mesa California

714-929-RIBS (7427)


No comments: