Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chris’ Liquor & Deli in Ocean Beach


It was the first day of the San Diego boat races on Mission Bay.


On the way from the hotel I had to grab a bite; it was going to be a long day. If it were not for a small sign in the window that said Deli, I might have passed by this Jewel of a place.


Entering the store with my dog under my arm, I knew that good food was beyond those doors.


The aroma was wonderful and staring at the menu I could not believe the number of different sandwiches and the sign advertising Boar’s Head meat.


I was in a hurry so I made a quick choice of a turkey sandwich called the Navigator and asked for toasted sourdough bread. The Navigator comes with a heaping amount of fresh thick cut turkey and sits on top of a layer of avocado, lettuce, tomato, and then topped with bacon.


I also needed a sandwich for my Snoop dog and the man behind the counter said, “no need” as he reached into the cold box and handed me a 1 1/2” thick roll of turkey meet. He said, “These are dog treats and they are free.”


So driving to the races, I opened the dog treat to find such fresh turkey and it seemed too good to feed to my dog. So as Snoop dog started to dig in, I opened my sandwich and had an eye rolling experience as I bit into this large sandwich made with such care.


Every ingredient was fresh and the taste was extraordinary. I have had a lot of good sandwiched but never like this one. I had the sandwich completely ate before I got to the race and all I could think of is going there again.


The following day I had to go back and this time, Snoop was met with a large roll of sliced beef. Yet, I could not even think of ordering a different variety to sample; I had to re-order the Navigator and this time I added potato salad.


Again the sandwich was perfect and the potato salad was homemade with fresh chunks of potato and a slight flavor of egg and sour cream. Definitely a great (outstanding) potato salad.


My only regret is that I did not take pictures of my sumptuous maritime feast and I never intended to feature a liquor store deli; however, I cannot stop thinking about that great cooking and what a treat it was. Next time in San Diego I will drive out of my way to visit Chris’s Liquor and Deli and post pictures of the excellent, stupendous, mouth watering sandwiches.


Chris, you have ruined every restaurant I have ever been to. I will never find a sandwich as good as yours.


Chris’ Liquor & Deli in Ocean Beach
2275 Sunset Cliffs Blvd
(between Lotus St & Point Loma Blvd)
San Diego, CA 92107

(619) 222-0518

CATERING IS AVAILABLE!

1 comment:

warplayer said...

Daaang your descriptions just made me really hungry. I think I might need to grab a turkey sandwich today.