Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Original Pizza - Newport Beach CA


What a dive – But What a Find! Looking for the good old fashion pizza that has yet to be exploited by commercial America is getting tougher and tougher to find. Yet the other day in New Port Beach California the craving for a slice of heaven raced across my mind, causing my mouth to water.

After checking the store fronts of several pizza places, we stopped and walked in to the biggest dive I have ever seen. Yet in the corner was a floury dough machine spinning like a champ. The building was old, the exterior was less than beautiful and the interior matched. But the restaurant was packed with people. This let me know something good was going on and how good I had no idea.

Approaching the service counter, I got nothing but a typical attitude from the California beach community girls. They prompted me that it was cash only and I ordered a medium deluxe. So uncomfortable was the restaurant, that I went and stood out in front of the establishment and watched them make pizza through the window.

It was here that I realized I was in for a treat. The dough had a great texture and was spread on a dusting of corn meal. The vegetables, meat, and cheese were fresh, not bulk bought. Someone had put much care into this how this pizza was made.

Several times I watched them checking the ovens and though they were pumping our pizza after pizza, there was no hurry and each came out of the oven with a nice browned surface, but the crust was perfect.

The medium that I got had about eight large slices and cost $21. Upon the first bite, the heat caused me to winch and I was forced to wait as it cooled.

Each bite you could taste the fresh vegetables and the sausage melted almost like cooked ground round. The flavor was intense. All the ingredients were perfectly proportioned and it was not greasy at all.

This pizza pie was so good the two of us ate the whole thing. It was one of those just can’t get enough days. Of course we ate in the car and parked on the beach by the beautiful Newport pier.

This was a fabulous find and though I should not eat pizza, I will have a tough time not stopping in when I pass through this area. Definitely, when I do eat pizza again, it will be here.

Ratings

Service: (1-10) 5

Food (1-10) 9.5

Original Pizza

2121 W Balboa Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663
9496731451

1 comment:

warplayer said...

It looks exactly like Michael's Pizza haha